May 15, 2020
Golfing in the Valley during COVID-19
The Columbia Valley is home to a multitude of great social distancing activities. One of the top activities that comes to mind is GOLF! Almost all of the Valley courses are open and each has staff operating in full force to ensure things run smoothly under strict new safety guidelines.
Locals have been taking advantage of the gorgeous spring weather and enjoying a “near normal” golf experience. Golf is a relatively easy sport to socially distance while playing and can provide a safe outlet for the stir crazy, some fresh air and exercise, and perhaps even a dose of normalcy.
It’s a little different golfing now, but easy to play if you pay attention to the new protocols. Each course is mandated to keep their pro shop and clubhouse closed, there are no ball washers or rakes in the sand, and tee times are spaced out in longer time periods (a big plus from some!). Golfers can leave flagsticks in the holes, untouched. Grounds crews at some courses have installed the cups upside down, so the ball doesn’t fall in the hole and players don’t have to reach inside.
Please note, due to ongoing public health concerns, course restaurants, clubhouses and other common areas may have restrictions in place. Please check with each course before visiting to find out their current protocols for checking-in, food & beverage services, and course rules.
To name a few, here are some of the stunning courses located in the Columbia Valley:
- Copper Point Golf Course — Invermere. Championship layout that has been wowing golfers since 2004. Natural lay-of-the-land route with numerous classic elements, such as roughly hewn bunkers and excellent use of existing hills and ravines.
- The Ridge at Copper Point — Invermere. Par 62 Masters course; can often be played in just 3 hours. Full length par 3 & 4 holes maintain a perfect blend of playability and challenge, appealing to every level of golfer.
- Eagle Ranch Golf Course — Invermere. Championship course among the rugged, unspoiled splendour of BC’s Columbia Valley. A golf experience that goes above and beyond.
- Radium Course — Radium Hot Springs. Par 71 course; a more playable course for casual golfers. Each hole now has four sets of tees to accommodate golfers of all skill levels.
- Springs Course — Radium Hot Springs. Par 72 course, consistently ranked among BC and Canada’s top golf courses. Breathtaking scenery, world-class Les Furber design, and exceptional service. Bighorn Meadows Resort is located on the ninth fairway of this course.
- Spur Valley Golf Resort – Radium. Stunning 9-hole golf course located just a 15-minute drive north of Radium.
- Greywolf Golf Course — Panorama. Award-winning golf course located at Panorama Mountain Village. 18 holes, including “Cliffhanger, Greywolf’s signature hole, which has secured a place among the best golf holes in the world.
- Creekside Golf Course — Fairmont Hot Springs. Par 3 course featuring ponds, cascading creeks, and sand bunkers. Perfect for families or seasoned golfers who need a little practice around the green.
- Mountainside Golf Course — Fairmont Hot Springs. Championship golf course, combining wonderful views, beautiful conditioning, and a riveting collection of golf holes.
- Riverside Golf Resort — Fairmont Hot Springs. “A river runs through it” is the dominant theme of this championship course.
- Windermere Valley Golf Course — Windermere. Shorter than average in length, but not short on character or beauty. An enjoyable golf experience for the whole family.
- Edgewater Hiltop Par 3 Golf Course — Edgewater. With beautiful views of the Rocky Mountains, this Par 3 course offers a fun and challenging game for all.